Tuesday 16 April 2013

Robot Food/ The First visit

I went to eventually visit Robot Food for the first time on 14th March. I was quite nervous and was actually trying to think of excuses in my head not to go. But that didnt work, I wanted this too much. I went to see them at 2pm and took my portfolio with me. When I got there Simon (the guy I was tweeting and also the Creative Director) introduced himself and took me into a smaller room. I was then introduced to Mike, who ran the studio with Simon and then the Senior Designer! I wasnt expecting to be showing my work to THREE people! I could have died! I made a joke on the fact I was under a bit of pressure and wasnt expecting there to be 3 of them, they just laughed.

They started telling me how they were looking to take on some Junior Designers in the future and wanted to start looking at potential candidates work! (At this point it felt more like a job interview!). I started to tell them a bit about myself and then started to talk about my work.

I found it a little bit harder than even the second time of seeing Mike at The Archipelago because there was 3 of them and I really wanted to impress them. They had already said that they liked my work so I felt a little under pressure. I started talking through the first project, which was the chocolate brief I had been tweeting them pictures of. They made a few comments about aspects of the design, but really liked it. They said it was something they had not seen before and the concept was well thought out. I then moved on to my Natures Little Critters greetings card brief, I explained the concept behind it all and they really liked it. I was worried that they might have thought it was a bit random but I explained why I had put it in and also the fact I love illustration. They said it was good to see that my portfolio isnt all the same and the fact I had included it showed I could maybe give something extra that someone else couldnt.

I then showed them the Heinz Salad Cream YCN brief that I won an award for. The first thing that Simon said was that hes seen a lot of them, so I jumped in and told him I had won. That seemed to gain a good reaction. I tried to explain as best I could about the concepts behind my work but I didnt know how much to say. So I just said to them how much do you want me to go in to detail and they just said they wanted an over view of my work.

After showing them mine and them telling me they were really impressed, they asked if I wanted to see some of their work. Obviously I said yes and Simon went to get their portfolio. He went through each project briefly and I asked questions about things. Their portfolio was huge but there wasnt a single piece in there that shouldnt of been. All of their work was amazing.

They then took me into the main studio area and let me look at some stuff they were sending to print. I couldnt help myself but read all the text and look for typos (luckily I didnt find any and they didnt mind me looking) its a habit I have.

I was there for a while and then it came for the time to leave, before I left I thanked them and they told me to stay in contact and that if I needed any help just ask. Simon then said that he wants to get me in for work experience, at that point I had a smile bigger than the Cheshire Cat! They could see theyd made my day and told me it was nice to meet me and see my great work. We then said bye and he said again make sure I stay in contact.

Probably one of the best days of uni up to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment