Sunday 23 October 2011

Enterprise and Innovation: Study task 3// How will I promote myself?..

Task

Based on the principles that have been introduced in the Enterprise module so far and your findings in previous tasks, evaluate the most suitable marketing methodologies for your own practise and and the most effective methods to reach your potential customers.

It is essential that you make references to some of the methodologies in the 'Marketing communication mix' and evaluate the 'place' that will give you the greatest competitive advantage and be convenient for your clients/ customers.

What do they want to hear?
What should I say to them?
How will I communicate with them?

---------------

My clients will want to know all about me, my strengths, my weaknesses and my personality. I need to inform them of who I am and what I do in a creative and clear way, so that they know what they are getting. If a client/ customer is interested in you and what you have to offer, you have to keep their interest by always surprising them and impressing them. You need to be original and exciting, make yourself stand out from the croud and let them know there is something special about you.

In terms of becoming a teacher and doung this, one thing your potential employer will want to hear is that you are perfect for the job, you are creative, enthusiastic and interesting. This may seem obvious but there is way to do this the right way.

Another Graphic Design area that I am interested in is Branding and Identity. In terms of 'getting myself' out there' in this area I would have to make sure I present myself through my design work with something spectacular! They will want to know and see that my work is original and special and they will want to know that I am the same. They will not want someone average, they will want the best and I have to prove that I can and will be the best designer for them. The important thing within this area of design is that you have to create cutting edge designs, because your roll as a brand and identity designer is to make a company/ business stand out from all other businesses that offer similar services.

//

When it comes to what to say to them, you need to tell them what they want to hear and tell them what you want them to know about you. You need to appeal to your client but be honest too. They will have specific traits and skills that they are looking for in someone. Sometimes we are not the right person for everyone, so its best to know exactly what someone is looking for before trying to sell them something they do not need.

//

How you communicate with your client will depend on who they are and what they do and what they need. Education establishments for example will use goverment sources and links or if they are an independant establishment you can contact them directly. Websites are a big way of communicating with an audience, if you created a website about yourself and your work you could then direct your potential client/ customer to your website using mailshots or headed letters. All of this is communication and will be done in a way that is effective to your target market. If I am wanting to do designing on the side (if I was a teacher), I could design a brand identity for myself, including logo design and letter headers etc as well as a memorable business card.

In terms of communicating with a branding studio you will need to be outlandish and maybe slightly crazy to capture their attention and engage with them. Design a business card or creative CV that shows your brand, so that they know exactly what they will be getting. Try and think outside the box, do something that has never been done before and they will recognize that.

This is a good example of thinking outside of the box when it comes to creating an identity for yourself. This designer drew inspiration from an old coin, he then based his business cards around the idea of old money and pirate like gold. He hasnt just printed them out on a nice bit of card, he has literally made them like giant coins that he can hand out to potential clients. His information has been placed around the edge of the coin which again reflects on the original coin of inspiration. The most important thing that I think he has done is made his business card engaging. It is more physical than a standard business card, its almost like you wouldnt want to throw it away or lose it because it is a memorable piece of design.

No comments:

Post a Comment