Tuesday 17 January 2012

Enterprise and Innovation// Proposed position statement..

Task//

Write 10 short but informative statements that identify your distinctive 'positioning' as a Graphic Designer. Your statements should consider your ambitions, skills and areas of creative interest in relation to the market, your clients, competition and possible collaborators and should be based on the information you have collected in response to the set tasks.

You will need to compare a list of your skills and services against customer/ client needs to those of your competitors, this should help you determine how your company is unique.

----------------

- Areas that I am interested in within the graphic Design field is branding and identity. I have always enjoyed creating a brand identity for projects within the course and I have recently started to think about how I can brand myself and what approaches I would take. I have also been creating business cards and letter heads for my dad, he's a self-employed plasterer and he wanted something he could give out to potential customers to gain more work opportunities. He was very pleased with the designs, of which I am going to have professionally printed for him.

- In terms of working on my own, collaboratively or as part of a larger business, I feel that I would quite like to own my own branding and identity studio. Its always been a dream to own my own business and this course is helping to prepare me for how I can make this dream come true. I think that I would need to gain some experience in this field of design before I went off on my own, as I want to be fully prepared so that I get the most out of my business experience.

- Another ambition of mine is to move to America for a year and try to get a job in a big business, then maybe even move to New York and start a business over there. (Big ambitions maybe, but nothings impossible!) I have family that live like an hour away from NY City which is quite handy.

- In terms of gaining experience whilst I am still on the course, I am wanting to try as many different things as possible, as I guess you dont know if you like something till you've tried it. Obviously I will want to stay close to branding and identity but I would love to visit an editorial and web design studio to gain some experience and understanding of how it all works.

- I feel like I have learnt many new skills whilst being on the course as well as building on skills I already had. My job is to create and I feel I am pretty good at this. I think one of the most important things to have in a field of Graphic Design is passion, you have to want to do well in a career that you enjoy. Theres no point choosing a career that you wont enjoy!

- I want to be the best in my field of Graphic Design, which means I will have to work hard and have a brain like a sponge so that I learn everything I need/ would like to know. I will need to have an amazing portfolio of work to show to potential clients, which means I will have to work hard to produce the work that will go in my creative portfolio.

- I would love to take my Graphic Design skills abroad to different countries to share the skills and knowledge I have about Graphic Design with other cultures. This will make me more informed about the broadness of Graphic Design and it also raises the opportunity of travelling the world.


- I would obviously have a lot of competition in my chosen area of Graphic Design. I think something that is very important would to not restrict my skill set. I know I say I love and enjoy branding and identity but I shouldnt cut myself off there. I will try as many new things as I can including branding and identity, editorial, packaging and promotion etc. The more I know the more I will appeal to clients and potential employers and the better I will be than my competitors.

- I would love to collaborate with other designers and companies as I feel this is a very important part of developing as a designer. You must be able to work with others, not only that but more than one mind is better than one. This could start whilst I am at uni, working with class mates and as I start to visit studios and get placements, it would allow the opportunity for more professional collaborations. I think the best collaborations are where you are very different from the other designer, it means you both have different skills to bring to designing.

- The most important thing to me though is to make sure I find a job that I enjoy, it doesnt even matter if it is unrelated to Graphic Design or if it is doing something completely different to what I have stated above. As long as I am happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment