Sunday 3 October 2010

Alphabet soup self evaluation.





Here is my self evaluation for the Alphabet soup brief.

What is being communicated and how?

I had chosen the word FLATTEN for the Alphabet soup brief, my final resolution was a sequence of the letter B which gradually got flatter, i took measurements from the height of the letter form and added it onto the width, so it elongated the letter. As a sequence you can see the transformation clearly and i felt that i had achieved the element of FLATTEN within my work.

How well does this answer the brief?

I feel that i answered the brief in terms of communicating the letterform with the word flatten, my audience were able to understand my letter form sequence. The way in which i chose to communicate the word flatten were quite literal yet it was still effective.

How well has the idea been visually explored?

When i first recieved the word flatten i thought of many ways in which this could be communicated, i made a brainstorm of my ideas and then began to look at letterforms that had some relevance to my word. I tried out a few ideas with some letters but decided on the letter 'B' as i felt this was a letter i could play around with in more ways. In terms of the way in which i created my resolution i feel that i could of tried it out on an array of letterforms rather than just 'B' to broaden my visual research.

What are the strengths of the resolution?

My final resolution visually communicated the word FLATTEN and i answered the brief in my own individual style. I hand rendered my resolution and i think this gives it another successfull visual. I had experimented on the computer with my resolution but felt it was too much for my simple design.

How could it be improved?

I think that i could experiment with other letterforms to see if my concept could work as a whole typeface. I could also experiment with colour too, to push my idea further its just a case of experimenting with all aspects of the letterform i designed. In terms of my final resolution, i feel that i done well and i don't feel theres anything i could improve.

General comments...

I enjoyed working on my own in this brief as it gave me a chance to work with my own individual style, after working in a group for the previous brief i felt that it gave me alot of inspiration and motivation. This is the first time i have ever really focused solely on typography so it was exciting to get this brief, although when i first read it i was a bit iffy. I'm glad i took on the challenge and at the end of it, i found i really enjoyed it and learnt alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment