Thursday 29 September 2011

Enterprise and Innovation Lecture 1: How to get yourself out there..

Notes:

- Marketing ideas, self promotion.

- www.designcouncil.org
- www.artscouncil.org

- Marketing/ advertising/ market research, not just about selling a product or just yourself, its about understanding what people want.

- Apple: people prefer their products because they love the style of his product so much they could lick them/ they have an emotional connection with Apple.

- Harley Davidson owners sometimes tattoo branding on them, emotional connection, part of their personality.

- All businesses try to develop relationships with their consumers.

- 6 functions:

- customer needs
- developing right prices
- promote products effectively
- identify best distribution
- add value to the products/ extra benefits
- monitor the performance of the product/ get feedback/ get the customer involved

- how do small businesses do all this?
- they build bridges/ networks with other companies for help and support
- Seth Godin

- Marketing basics: universally known, the four P's

- product: service, object, design service etc complete with personality/attention to detail/ politics etc value proposition, emotional attachments to a product which makes it stand out from the rest.

- price: get the price right/ make or break it, understand how much customers want to pay for your product, dont over or under price your product, understand the people you are selling to.

- place: not just about location/ where you are going to make it available, about population, atmosphere, enviroment, the kind of services you feel need to be attached to your services/ how you promote yourself and product/ websites, posters, leaflets, depends on where, you need to know what you will use to go where.

-promotion: how will you promote yourself/ 5000 different messages everyday/ overwhelmed by messages all day, you must be unique, dont do the same as everyone else. be resourceful, use all your personality and imagination

AIDA ATTENTION, INTEREST, DESIGN AND ACTION

promotion is never effective if its one off/ keep their attention until they desire to engage with you or your product, not until then will they buy/ invest/ colaborate/ raise awareness/ give them information, tell them your values, capture their desire.

- What are my values and special personality traits??

- 5 values:

- Equality, I dont like people who judge others because of how they look, what they do and where their from

- Im a vegetarian, I know that me not eating meat wont save the animals but it makes me feel better.

- Recycling is important to me, I think its always good to re use old things, I often pop into charity shops to buy things, one mans rubbish is another mans riches!

- Being friendly, a smile or hello can make someones day. I work in Argos and often have long conversations with customers. One lady made me cry as she said my mum must be proud to have a daughter like me and another man told me his life story. Its nice just to talk to people like people.

- Helping others, I want a job where I know I will be giving something worth while back, whether that means I teach as a career or help design promotion material for a charity.


- 5 personality traits:

- Great sense of humour, Im not a serious person but I am when I need to be

- Thoughtful, Im always thinking about others and how I can help someone

- Ive been told I can be quite motherly, in terms of being organised and organising others

- Optimistic, I have a very optimistic attitude, always look on the bright side of life!

- Perfectionist, I can be quite fussy about details. I used to have bad OCD, everything still has its place. I like to put time and effort into everything to make sure its the best that it can be.

Be honest, be yourself, be bold and use your unique qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment